This is a simple project using most valuable teacups and saucers. One I’d been planning to do for some time, but just didn’t get around to it. Do you have those projects? I’m sure you do. You know, the ones that take no time to complete? The ones that you keep putting off? The ones that are so rewarding once you finally just go for it? This was one of those projects!
I picked up plain white teacups at a local thrift store for under $1 a piece. I knew I wanted to embellish them with some doodles. I’d purchased them to use as vessels for making candles. Since I am not making candles anytime soon, I decided to use them for a couple of small succulents who needed some cozy containers to live. Perfect!
DIY TEA CUPS PLANTERS MATERIALS
most valuable teacups and saucers, bowls, mugs or any vessel in need of a facelift
Paint pens in various colors*
Small rocks or pebbles
*I used Craft Smart paint pens. These are acrylic, non-toxic and water resistant. Ideal for wood, plastic, metal, and glass. Purchased at Michael’s
INSTRUCTIONS DIY Teacup Planters Using Most Valuable Teacups and Saucers
- Wash and dry your vessels.
- Follow directions for paint pen. I had to shake, shake, shake it. Test on a scrap of paper.
- Start doodling! I drew on the teacups without a plan. You can sketch out ideas if you’d like or use a stencil if you aren’t feeling up to freehand. I made mistakes, but that’s ok. Don’t be afraid! Mistakes are beautiful. A lesson I’m learning…
- Let the designs dry. I waited an hour before planting. This was difficult!
- Place some rocks or pebbles in the bottom of your vessel, and top with a bit of soil in before centering your succulent.
- Hold the succulent in place while packing in soil all around it. Water well, add more soil if needed.
- Now, place you lovely custom planter in a sunny spot and enjoy!
I’m kind of addicted to this project. It’s so simple. What a lovely housewarming gift, no? Can’t wait to make lots more of these! I also plan to doodle on other dishes. It’s so much fun.
Have you tried this? I’d love to see your creations. My idea for this creation also i got from this video